Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Chocolate Lanugage Barriers

This entry refers to the above entry "Bariloche," specifically the section toward the end about buying some of Bariloche´s well-known chocolates.

With the whole camera fiasco, we were running a bit late on time, and I wanted to call ahead to El Bolsón and make sure we had a place to stay for the night. As such, I left Erin in the chocolate store while I went off to make some phone calls.

Right before I left, Erin asked me, "How do you say that word?"

"Circuela," I replied, having no idea what it meant.

So, I made my phone calls, came back and found Erin holding a box of chocolates. I confirmed that she had no problems, and we moved on.

As we got settled on the bus, we decided to cheer ourselves up by treating ourselves to one of our chocolates. Erin had bought two of each kind, so we each picked out the same thing.

Immediately following my first (sizeable) bite was the unmistakeable taste of a really big, horrible-tasting raisin. Apparently, in the interests of regularity, Erin had decided to buy us each a chocolate-covered prune. We finished our "treats," but had to follow it with a substantial helping of water to wash the aftertaste away.

I can safely say the following:
1 - It was the best-tasting prune I´ve ever had.
2 - It was the worst-tasting chocolate I´ve ever had (taken as a whole, not the chocolate alone).

I guess it depends if you´re a glass is half-empty or half-full kind of person.

Fortunately, the rest of the chocolates have been what we had hoped for.

Rob

No comments: