Wednesday, June 6, 2007

When Ankles Look Like Tennis Balls...

Bad news to report this time...I've had to stop the walk due to tremendous pain in my ankles, most likely caused by tendonitis. The front of each ankle is incredibly swollen; each features a large lump that doesn't feel any more comfortable than it looks. Additionally, the back of my ankle eventually reached a point where each step I took became more and more painful, often to the point of being excruciating.

Had all this happened on Friday, I'd probably have been able to tough it out, but with nearly 75 miles left to go, I decided to avoid risking further injury and call it quits a bit earlier than I had planned. So, instead of a 150+ mile walk over 5 days, mine ended up being about 82 or 83 miles over 3 days, through all the boroughs except the Bronx.

Matt has decided to continue with his original schedule and press forward. He's got some blisters and is certainly feeling the general fatigue of having covered nearly 90 miles so far in 3 days, but overall, he's feeling good and is ready to move forward. So, keep supporting him with your comments as he continues to post new updates from his phone!

I'm planning on taking things easy tomorrow, and then possibly joining Matt for a few miles on Friday in Manhattan, depending on how I feel. Hopefully things will improve a bit by then!

6 comments:

Adam said...

Sorry Rob!

PatMinNYC said...

Rob,
I'm sure you hung in there a lot longer than most... that no pain no gain stuff... is a bunch a crap! Better to re-group and try again another day. Met up with Matt in LIC just outside of the Noguchi museum. Did not make it to Bohemian Hall (it was too late) but we shared a few Greek beers on Broadway in Astoria.
When I left him he was in good spirits but very much looking forward to doing a bit of couch surfing. Sorry we did not get a chance to meet.

PatMinNYC said...

Uploaded some pics of Matt in Astoria on my Picasa public area.
Go here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pat.merino

Anonymous said...

Mr. Moncure,
Professor is sorry to hear about the early end to your journey.

Adam said...

Also, Rob, what do you weigh?

Anonymous said...

Rob, I'm sorry to hear this. You must feel like one of those early explorers who just missed the North Pole or one of the guys who have to turn back when they can see the top of Everest. I really enjoyed meeting you on your first night on the road and admire your spirit of adventure and playfulness about life. I have every confidence that you and Matt will go onto the next adventure with equal verve and dedication.